Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 28, 2022

Take Time to Smell the Flowers

Hello crafters! Today I am sharing a bright and cheerful card using some of the beautiful stamps from the new 'In the Garden ' range by Cleverprints, one of the new stencils and Distress Oxide sprays and ink pads.
Here is what you will need: 
Cleverprints stamps: 'Explore the Wildflowers', 'Where the Wildflowers Grow' and 'Floral Twist', Cleverprints stencil: 'Flower Fall', 
Mixed Media card stock - I used Dolly Dimples cut to 6.75" x 4.75",
a 7" x 5" card blank, 
card stock for stamping, 
a colour wheel, 
Distress Oxide sprays: 'Scattered Straw', 'Kitsch Flamingo' and 'Salvaged Patina', 
Distress Ink pads: 'Squeezed Lemonade', 'Kitsch Flamingo' and 'Salvaged Patina', 
blending brushes, 
a journal or journal paper, 
Alcohol pens - I used Promarker pens choosing similar shades to my inks,
a white gel pen, 
Scotch Removable tape, 
two small pieces of acetate - to use as masks so they only need to be a little bigger than your card stock, Memento ink in 'Noir', 
a paper trimmer, 
a stamping platform, 
ruler, 
pencil and rubber,
foam pads, 
glue, 
an old cardboard box, 
a heat tool 
a water spray bottle. 

For this card I wanted to work with a triad of colours, similar to the primaries, but I wanted more pastel tones, so I chose a pink, pale yellow and a soft blue/green. If you are not sure, colour wheels are really useful at seeing which colours work well together.
To make the background I measured along the long edge of the mixed media card stock, making a light pencil mark at each 2.25" point. I then lightly drew a line down edge to edge to mark the three equal sections to use for each of my colours.
This is where the acetate and removable tape comes in. This is optional, but I chose to use this as I wanted my three colours to not blend in to each other. Starting on the left side of the card, place the acetate over the middle and right sections you have marked and apply the tape down the pencilled line, so only the left of the three sections is uncovered. Laying the card flat in an old cardboard box, spray the top part of the card with your first colour and then tip it up to allow the colour to drip down. Have a journal or journal paper underneath to catch the drips and sprays; this can be the start of a future journal page and doesn't waste any ink.
Carefully remove the tape and acetate and dry with a heat tool, you can create splatters with water once dry to activate the oxide. Clean the acetate to remove any ink and dry. You are now ready to do the second colour. Repeat the process with the acetate and tape, but this time, use both pieces of acetate so the left and right sections are covered and the middle section is exposed. Spray your second colour and allow it to drip. Again, remove the tape and acetate and dry.
You are now ready for the final section, repeat the process covering the two coloured sections. Once completely dry, gently rub out any pencil lines and place your stencil over the background and apply Distress ink through the stencil with blending brushes, being careful to apply the ink colour tone on tone, this will create a very subtle effect. Then edge around the card in black ink.
Colouring your Images Stamp and colour your images using your chosen colouring mediums, I did each one twice. I often do this as it gives me options for either future projects or to decoupage an image. In this project I decided to decoupage the centre parts of the two smaller flowers and the centre leaf on the larger flower. To create shade, blend two shades each colour, I find it easier to start with the lighter of the two colours, then blend the darker colour and then go back over the whole area with the lighter shade again. Use the white pen to create highlights.
Once you have finished your colouring, cut out your images. I often play around with composition before sticking anything down, including laying the sentiment stamp on to the card to see where it suits the design. Don't be afraid to cut your stamped and coloured images, I did this to create the hills.
Once you have found a composition you like, it is a good idea to take a photograph, that way you can still move things around without the worry of forgetting a design that you liked. Once I have found a composition I like, I place my card in my stamping platform and stamp my sentiment. If stamping directly on to a card, I always use a stamping platform, that way if I need to go over it again I know I can and get the stamp in the exact same spot. Stick down your elements and secure to the card blank. I hope you have fun making this card, working in threes with colours is so much fun!

Happy Crafting!
Gabrielle, the Papercrafting Pixie

6 comments:

Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed stamped candle

  For this blog post for Cleverprints, I decided to decorate a candle using stamps.  This is something very simple to do which you can do wi...